Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Imagine living in a different world! Can you do it?

Reading and Writing Lesson: Read a little this week, then write a comment we can read. Next week, you will see a comment from me about you writing.


On Monday, January 18,  we had a national holiday from school, and many businesses and government offices were closed because we celebrate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. every year. He was born on January 15, 1929, so we have a national holiday on the Monday after his birthday. Dr. King was an important, intelligent American leader. He taught us a lot about being kind and fair to people of every race and color. He dreamed that people of many races, religions and cultures can live together without hatred and without fear.


I think everyone agrees that it is important to be fair, but history all over the world shows us that many people are not fair or kind to others. Dr. King encouraged us to fight in strong, peaceful ways for fairness, justice, and freedom. He encouraged us to fight for civil rights. For example, civil rights are the right to vote and the right to go to school. Dr. King had many successes working for civil rights. He won the Nobel Peace Prize, an international honor, because he worked so hard and so well. If you would like to know more about his life and work, you can read more online here.


Dr. King spoke in a special style that is often used in churches. He spoke in a very emotional, dramatic way to encourage people to think and care. One time in Washington D.C., Dr. King made a very famous speech to more than 200,000 people. 

Click here to get our vocabulary list , but I will give you one in class. These important words help you understand the speech.



Click to watch some of this speech about his dream. Listen carefully to what he dreams for his children and all people. (You can watch the video more than once when it begins.)



Now that you live and work in the U.S., you will meet and get to know people from many races and many cultures. I hope you will enjoy meeting and working so many different people. I hope your will not need to work with a boss or co-workers who have hatred in their hearts. I believe we can all encourage all to look at character, to build character, and not to act with hatred or unfairness.



Sadly, there is racism, unfairness, and hatred in many countries, cities, and neighborhoods, not just the United States.
  • What about your home country? Do you have any stories about racism or unfairness? 
  • Who are your important civil rights leaders?
  • What is your dream for a better world?
Please post a comment to our class bog. You don't need to write a lot. You don't need to write about history, just about your dream. 

How do you do post? Look down the page a little bit. Find Post a comment. Click. Write your comment in the box. Write your name in your post. Click Anonymous. You will also need to copy a funny looking word before you can post. 


Grammar and Vocabulary Practice with Gerunds :
  1. After you click and read about V+ing, scroll down the page to find 6 exercises to help you. 

14 comments:

  1. Here is my example of a comment! I chose Anonymous, and then I clicked on Post. (You can use your gmail ID, if you have one.)

    I needed to copy the funny word, too!

    Don't forget to write your name!

    By, Venette

    ReplyDelete
  2. This my first comment
    Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my second comment
    Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is my first time to watch his speeches.

    It is very impressive speech and I believe that many people were inspired a lot from his speeches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is my fist time,i here that.it so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dream is that someday everybody can live without discrimination and everyone help each other that is the only way we can have a better world where people can live a better life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that lots of country has unfairness in their history and some of this country's citizen always force to live unfair condition. Also we're reading, watching or sometimes living in racism. I am from Turkey. Now it is Turkish National Republic but before that it was Ottoman Empire. We had a lot of counties under our Empire. After many century later some races immigrant in our sand(country) or our citizens immigrate another sands. Finally they felt this racism and forced.
    I think country leaders have to be right person and they could be influence the people. They could speak to people's conscience..
    My dream is about living in a peaceful world and nobody never force about their race, color or religion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my better world, the most important thing is man and woman also have equal treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is my first time too, to watch and ear this speech. I think leaders have this special skill to be followed by others and to be respected.
    Spain, my country, has done a lot of damage all over the world, starting in South America and ending in Philippines and Africa. Sometimes the history reveal things that we are not proud of. Nowadays we are a modern country with a huge list of civil rights, eager to have immigration and very respectful from LGTB and others minorities. Nice to have this blog for the free time.
    Daniel Twal

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe that no one absolutely no one has the right to owned or discriminate other person. we born free and we have rights!!!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nowhere is perfect country or place to live with fair and justice... Nowhere people gonna alive after death... Nowhere where a money rules the world and has made so many wars and violences against the civil!
    I have a dream as Dr. King to be united and always feel myself in brotherhood anywhere I'll go! When I have started study in 1st grade in the High School my ABC book was begin with picture where all nationals were stay united! So early, so memorizing but soon forgotten the feeling we are were born with!
    Sometimes I'm walking along the streets and looking at beautiful concrete buildings are surrounding us and we have built strong and for many centuries staying with generations I'm dreaming about our life with the same relationships! So lets build a more stronger relationship we could by the name a Big Big Family!

    Peace for everybody!

    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  13. my name is anonymous,and im from mexico thats all if you want to speak more call mev this my phone 1234567890

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi everybody,ahh its my first time here in the U.S and its beatiful the people are friendly and the food here are delicius,thats it for me .i dont know.what else to write

    ReplyDelete