Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Getting Ready for Job Interview

Happy Mardi Gras everyone!

Listening Practice:

Click to listen to video advice about job interviews. The woman in this video will give you advice that we have discussed in class.  You can listen and write the missing words, too.



Speaking Practice: Practice answering job interview questions online. Register for Voicethread today so you can record  answers to interview questions. Click here for a bigger window.

Reading: Read my interview story. Write your interview story as a comment below.

When I got ready for job interview as a teacher at City College, I had to do a lot of difficult work. I felt nervous most of the time, and had to try my best to feel confident about myself. After I sent a long cover letter with my resume and application, I was so excited to get an interview. At that time, the college was not hiring many teachers, so there was a lot of competition. For this reason, I was excited about getting an interview, but the interview was not a guarantee of a job. I knew I had to prepare for the next big step, the group interview with a lesson plan.

In our interview, applicants had to write original lessons about a newspaper article about culture in China. All of the teachers who had interviews had to create a lesson for the same newspaper article. I needed to explain how I would teach the vocabulary, and how I would handle students' questions. I needed to try out my lesson if possible, so I went to a new class and tried out my lesson. That way I could report about my experience during the interview. In addition to knowing my lesson, and my profession, I also had to understand a lot about all of City College, not just the ESL department. I had to learn about the CCSF administration in more detail.

Being relaxed, prepared, and confident was more difficult than I expected. I remember feeling so tired from all of the stress. However, I will always be grateful for all of my preparation because I got hired in a fantastic college. Getting ready for the interview took months of work, and lots of mental energy, but the outcome was perfect for me. I wish you all good energy for getting ready, feeling confident, and finding a great job.

Click on comment, then write about your interview experience from the past, or your ideas about an interview in your future. You can write and post at home, too.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really have job interviews. I just had a kind of interview with an agency to find a job. I wanted to take care of children and I had to prepare some documents about my studies and a kind of resume to explain why I wanted to do that.
    I was relaxed because the agency didn't take the decision about my future. They just created a profile about myself and then, people who were interested could contact me. Because this agency is useful for people who are looking for a job, but also for people who are looking for services. So, once my profile was online, I could look for some propositions and contact them if I was interested. Some people contacted me too because they were looking for a baby-sitter. Then, to be a baby-sitter, I didn't really have to pass an interview, just present a little resume and talk a little bit about my experience, things could be happen, and about schedule. That's a very fast interview.

    ReplyDelete